When you hear the words, Calvin Klein, you think of the fashion house, but now the brand name has taken on a new moniker in the dark underworld of drug addiction. The New York Post recently reported how there is a new cocktail drug killing our youth and that it tragically took the life of a young violinist who was a musical prodigy.
The drug has become known as the ‘Calvin Klein’ drug because it goes by the initials’ CK,’ referencing the brand. CK is a cocktail drug that is a mixture of cocaine and ketamine. It’s being used in the club scene by young people and has become a lethal combination with deadly consequences. The young violinist died from an accidental overdose of the drug in London on Thursday, July 11th, 2019. Her death raised awareness about polydrug abuse when you combine two or more drugs for a dangerous high. Mixing multiple medications for a more substantial effect makes it that much easier to overdose.
Calvin Klein is now a dangerous club drug.
Authorities did not see the Calvin Klein drug craze coming as they struggled to deal with the situation. As reported by the New York Post, “Katya Tsukanova, 17, a leading musician in the UK, died of an apparent overdose from a cocaine and ketamine drug cocktail — just days after performing at the Royal Opera House in the city”. This news has prompted further investigation of how dangerous this drug is. Although more evidence is needed in how cocaine and ketamine combined affect a person’s brain, there is research on the two drugs separately.
The National Institute on Drug Abuse, NIDA, classifies ketamine as a dissociative drug similar to hallucinogens. NIDA states that the reason people take dissociative drugs is to:
“enable them to enter into what they perceive as a more enlightened sense of thinking or being” (NIDA).
Additionally, from NIDA,
“Ketamine—also known as K, Special K, or cat Valium—is a dissociative currently used as an anesthetic for humans as well as animals. Much of the ketamine sold on the street has been diverted from veterinary offices. Although it is manufactured as an injectable liquid, ketamine is generally evaporated to form a powder that is snorted or compressed into pills for illicit use.” (NIDA)
Cocaine is considered a stimulant drug, and when added to ketamine, it likely increases the effect of Ketamine. Historically, cocaine has been mixed with many other drugs to enhance their impact. It is commonly mixed with heroin, methamphetamine, and alcohol. Tsukanova was a victim of the lethal effects of both drugs. The New York Post reported that her father, Igor Tsukanova, said his daughter was a “smart girl, and she made one bad choice.” (NY Post)
The CK drug is a popular club drug, and like other club drugs, it may continue to take lives as it continues to be sold. The DEA currently does not acknowledge the drug cocktail CK as a specific drug type but references cocaine and ketamine in their drug schedules. The DEA scheduled drugs according to how dangerous they are “Drugs, substances, and certain chemicals used to make drugs are classified into five (5) distinct categories or schedules depending upon the drug’s acceptable medical use and the drug’s abuse or dependency potential… the abuse rate is a determinate factor in the scheduling of the drug; for example, Schedule I drugs have a high potential for abuse and the potential to create severe psychological and physical dependence.” (DEA). Currently, Cocaine is listed with the DEA as a schedule II drug and Ketamine a schedule III.
Deadly Ketamine and Cocaine Mix: Calvin Klein Club Drug
If you suspect a loved one of abusing drugs, it’s best to reach out for help as soon as possible. The fact that a young violinist died accidentally from the mixture of cocaine and ketamine is tragic. Although most experiences with dangerous drugs do not end well, cases like this are very saddening and force us to examine what our younger generations are doing when they get together.
Becoming involved and educated about the types of drugs available in clubs and on the street is a starting point. Additionally, adults must look for warning signs and behaviors that indicate drug use and abuse, as well as supporting laws that will limit the accessibility of these drugs to be bought over the web and by illegal prescription, as in the case of ketamine. Allure Detox is an Inpatient Detox and Residential Treatment Center that is ready to assist men, women, and families affected by the substance abuse scourge.
What is lemo drug?
LEMO means “Cocaine” and “Lemonade.” LEMO is a slang term which has long been used in Liverpool, UK to refer to lemonade.